Determinants of CVD
Risk attitudes and health behaviour to CVD
Child health and income
Social capital and health outcomes
- Applied Econometrics
- Economic Evaluation
- Economic risk
- Economics of cardiac diseases
- Health Economics
- early childhood intervention
- Health Economics
- Barnsbee, L., Barnett, A. G., Halton, K., & Nghiem, S. (2018). Cost-Effectiveness. In Mechanical Circulatory and Respiratory Support (pp. 749–774).
- Hoang, V.-N., Nghiem, S., & Vu, B. (2018). Stunting and academic achievement among Vietnamese children: new evidence from the young lives survey. Applied Economics, 1–9.
- Khanam, R., & Nghiem, S. (2018). Behavioural and Emotional Problems in Children and Educational Outcomes: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 45(3), 472–483.
- Le, V., Vu, B., & Nghiem, S. (2018). Technical Efficiency of Small and Medium Manufacturing Firms in Vietnam: A Stochastic Meta-Frontier Analysis. Economic Analysis and Policy, 1–19.
- Nghiem, S., Vu, B., & Barnett, A. (2018). Trends and determinants of weight gains among OECD countries: an ecological study. Public Health, 159, 31–39.
- Nguyen, H.-O., Nghiem, S., & Chang, Y.-T. (2018). A regional perspective of port performance using metafrontier analysis: the case study of Vietnamese ports. Maritime Economics & Logistics, 20, 112–130.
- Nguyen, T. P. T., & Nghiem, S. (2018). The effects of competition on efficiency: the Vietnamese banking industry experience. Singapore Economic Review, 63(1), 1–30.
- Pham, T., Nghiem, S., & Dwyer, L. (2018). The economic impacts of a changing visa fee for Chinese tourists to Australia. Tourism Economics, 24(1), 109–126.
- Vu, B., Hoang, V.-N., & Nghiem, S. (2018). Provincial divergence and sub-group convergence in Vietnams GDP per capita. Journal of Economic Research, 23(1), 81–107.
- Bettington, E., Spinks, J., Kelly, F., Gallardo-Godoy, A., Nghiem, S., & Wheeler, A. (2017). When is a medicine unwanted, how is it disposed and how might safe disposal be promoted? Insights from the Australian population. Australian Health Review, A–I.
- Burn, E., Nghiem, S., Jan, S., Redfern, J., Rodgers, A., Thiagalingam, A., … Chow, C. K. (2017). Cost-effectiveness of a text message programme for the prevention of recurrent cardiovascular events. Heart, 103(12), 923–930.
- Khanam, R., & Nghiem, S. (2017). Family Income and Child Cognitive Development: A Response to Marks. Demography, 54, 809–812.
- Nghiem, S., & Connelly, L. B. (2017). Convergence and determinants of health expenditures in OECD countries. Health Economics Review, 7, 29–1–29–11.
- Nghiem, S., Graves, N., Barnett, A., & Haden, C. (2017). Cost-effectiveness of National Health Insurance Programs in High-Income Countries: A Systematic Review. PLoS One, 12(12), e0189173–1–e0189173–11.
- Nguyen, T. P. T., Nghiem, S., & Roca, E. (2017). Management Behavior in Vietnamese Commercial Banks. Australian Economic Papers, 55(4), 345–367.
- Pham, T., Nghiem, S., & Dwyer, L. (2017). The determinants of Chinese visitors to Australia: A dynamic demand analysis. Tourism Management, 63, 268–276.
- Rahman, M. M., Khanam, R., & Nghiem, S. (2017). The Effects of Microfinance on Womens Empowerment: New Evidence from Bangladesh. International Journal of Social Economics, 44(12), 1745–1757.
- Rowell, D., Nghiem, S., & Connelly, L. B. (2017). Testing for asymmetric information in insurance markets: A test for ex ante moral hazard revisited. Economics Letters, 150, 4–5.
- Rowell, D., Nghiem, S., Ramagopalan, S., & Meier, U.-C. (2017). Seasonal temperature is associated with Parkinsons disease prescriptions: an ecological study. International Journal of Biometeorology, 61(12), 2205–2211.
- Alauddin, M., Ashman, A., Nghiem, S., & Lovell, K. (2016). What determines students study practices in higher education? An instrumental variable approach. Economic Analysis and Policy, 51, 46–54.
- Bhuiya, M. M. M., Khanam, R., Rahman, M. M., & Nghiem, S. (2016). Impact of microfinance on household income and consumption in Bangladesh: Empirical evidence from a quasi-experimental survey. Journal of Developing Areas, 50(3), 305–318.
- Khanam, R., & Nghiem, S. (2016). Family Income and Child Cognitive and Non-Cognitive Development in Australia: Does Money Matter? Demography, 53(3), 597–621.
- Khanam, R., Nghiem, S., & Connelly, L. (2016). The Effects of Parental Leave on Child Health and Postnatal Care: Evidence from Australia. Economic Analysis and Policy, 49, 17–29.
- Nghiem, S., & Khanam, R. (2016). Childhood obesity and the income gradient: Evidence from Australia. Applied Economics, 48(50), 4813–4822.
- Nghiem, S., Commandeur, J. J. F., & Connelly, L. B. (2016). Determinants of Road Traffic Safety: New Evidence from Australia Using State-Space Analysis. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 94, 65–72.
- Nghiem, S., Nguyen, H. T., & Connelly, L. B. (2016). The efficiency of Australian schools: A nationwide analysis using gains in test scores of students as outputs. Economic Papers, 35(3), 256–268.
- Nguyen, T. P. T., & Nghiem, S. (2016). Market concentration, diversification and bank performance in China and India: An application of the two-stage approach with double bootstrap. Managerial Finance, 42(10), 980–998.
- Nguyen, T. P. T., Nghiem, S., & Roca, E. (2016). Management Behaviour in Vietnamese Commercial Banks. Australian Economic Papers, 55(4), 345–367.
- Nguyen, T., Nghiem, S., Roca, E., & Sharma, P. (2016). Bank reforms and efficiency in Vietnamese banks: evidence based on SFA and DEA. Applied Economics, 48(30), 2822–2835.
- Nguyen, T., Nghiem, S., Roca, E., & Sharma, P. (2016). Efficiency, innovation and competition: evidence from Vietnam, China and India. Empirical Economics, 51, 1235–1259.
- Rowell, D., Nghiem, S., & Connelly, L. B. (2016). Two Tests for ex ante Moral Hazard in a Market for Automobile Insurance. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 84(4), 1103–1126.
- Nghiem, S., & Connelly, L. B. (2015). Benchmarking road traffic safety across OECD countries: a distance function approach. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 49(4), 539–559.
- Nghiem, S., Nguyen, H. T., Khanam, R., & Connelly, L. B. (2015). Does School Type Affect Cognitive and Non-Cognitive Development in Children? Evidence from Australian Primary Schools. Labour Economics, 33, 55–65.
- Nguyen, T., & Nghiem, S. (2015). The interrelationships among default risk, capital ratio and efficiency: Evidence from Indian Banks. Managerial Finance, 41(5), 507–525.
- Vu, B., Nguyen, T., Smith, C., & Nghiem, S. (2015). Vietnams Responses to Provincial Economic Disparities Through Central-Provincial Government Financial Relations. Australasian Journal of Regional Studies, 21(1), 103–137.
- Duong, H. A., & Nghiem, S. (2014). Effects of Microfinance on Poverty Reduction in Vietnam: A Pseudo-panel Data Analysis. Journal of Accounting, Finance and Economics, 4(2), 58–67.
- Khanam, R., Nghiem, S., & Connelly, L. B. (2014). What roles do contemporaneous and cumulative incomes play in the income-child health gradient for young children? Evidence from an Australian panel. Health Economics, 23, 879–893.
- Hajizadeh, M., & Nghiem, S. (2013). Hospital Care in Iran: An Examination of National Health System Performance. International Journal of Healthcare Management, 6(3), 201–210.
- Nghiem, S., & Laurenceson, J. (2013). Stakeholders Perspectives on Effectiveness. In Social Entrepreneurship and Microfinance (pp. 92–106).
- Nghiem, S., Coelli, T., & Rao, P. (2013). Microfinance in Vietnam. In Social Entrepreneurship and Microfinance (pp. 190–216).
- Nghiem, S., Connelly, L. B., & Gargett, S. (2013). Are Road Traffic Crash Fatality Rates Converging among OECD Countries. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 52, 162–170.
- Nghiem, S., & Duong, A. H. (2012). Preferences of Micro-insurance products: Evidence from the Mutual Assistance Fund in Vietnam. Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development, 1(5), 106–114.
- Nghiem, S., Coelli, T., & Rao, P. (2012). Assessing the Welfare Effects of Microfinance in Vietnam: Empirical Results from a Quasi-Experimental Survey. Journal of Development Studies, 48(5), 619–632.
- Saleh, A. S., Assaf, A. G., & Nghiem, S. (2012). Efficiency of the Malaysian Hotel Industry: A Distance Function Approach. Tourism Analysis, 17, 721–732.
- Spearing, N. M., Connelly, L. B., Nghiem, S., & Pobereskin, L. (2012). Research on Injury Compensation and Health Outcomes: Ignoring the problem of reverse causality led to a biased conclusion. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 65(11), 1219–1226.
- Gargett, S., Connelly, L. B., & Nghiem, S. (2011). Are we there yet? Australian road safety targets and road traffic crash fatalities. BMC Public Health, 11, 270–1–270–13.
- Hajizadeh, M., & Nghiem, S. (2011). Out-of-pocket expenditures for hospital care in Iran: who is at risk of incurring catastrophic payments? International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, 11, 267–285.
- Khanam, R., Nghiem, S., & Rahman, M. M. (2011). The impact of childhood malnutrition on schooling: evidence from Bangladesh. Journal of Biosocial Science, 43, 437–451.
- Nghiem, S., Coelli, T., & Barber, S. (2011). Sources of Productivity Growth in Health Services: A Case Study of Queensland Public Hospitals. Economic Analysis and Policy, 41(1), 37–48.
PhD Doctor of Philosophy, University of Queensland 2004 - 2007