|Martin leads the health technology assessment team in the Centre for Applied Health Economics, with a major focus on evaluation of industry submissions of new technologies for listing on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and the Medical Benefits Scheme and developing submissions and evaluations for the Medical Services Advisory Committee and new technology assessment for the Health Policy Advisory Committee on Technology (HealthPACT). Other major projects include; a post-market review of biologicals listed on the PBS for Psoriasis; and assessing the impact of pet ownership on people that are homeless.|
- Evidence based medicine
- healthcare system
- AGRICULTURAL AND VETERINARY SCIENCES
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Hettiarachchi, R., Kularatna, S., Downes, M., Byrnes, J., Kroon, J., Lalloo, R., … Scuffham, P. (2018). The cost-effectiveness of oral health interventions: A systematic review of cost-utility analyses. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 46(2), 118–124.
- White, C. N., Downes, M., Jones, G., Wigfall, C., Dean, R., & Brennan, M. (2018). Use of clinical vignette questionnaires to investigate the variation in management of keratoconjunctivitis sicca and acute glaucoma in dogs. The Veterinary Record, 182(1), 1–8.
- Downes, M., Devitt, C., Downes, M., & More, S. J. (2017). Understanding the context for pet cat and dog feeding and exercising behaviour among pet owners in Ireland: A qualitative study. Irish Veterinary Journal, 70, 29–1–29–10.
- Downes, M., Mervin, C., Byrnes, J., & Scuffham, P. (2017). Telephone consultations for general practice: A systematic review. Systematic Reviews, 6, 128–1–128–6.
- Stavisky, J., Brennan, M., Downes, M., & Dean, R. (2017). Opinions of UK Rescue Shelter and Rehoming Center Workers on the Problems Facing Their Industry. Anthrozoos, 30(3), 487–498.
- Wiseman, N., Harris, N., & Downes, M. (2017). Validation of an iPad activity to measure preschool childrens food and physical activity knowledge and preferences. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 14(1), 11–1–11–9.
- Downes, M., Brennan, M., Williams, H., & Dean, R. (2016). Development of a critical appraisal tool to assess the quality of cross-sectional studies (AXIS). MJA Open, 6(12), e011458–1–e011458–7.
- Downes, M., Lakhani, A., Maujean, A., Macfarlane, K., & Kendall, E. (2016). Evidence for Using Farm Care Practices to Improve Attachment Outcomes in Foster Children: A Systematic Review. British Journal of Social Work, 46, 1241–1248.
- Sowa, P. M., Downes, M., & Gordon, L. (2016). Cost-effectiveness of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry plus antiresorptive treatment in Australian women with breast cancer who receive aromatase inhibitors. Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, 1–10.
- Downes, M., Bettington, E., Gunton, J. E., & Turkstra, E. (2015). Triple therapy in type 2 diabetes; A systematic review and network meta-analysis. PeerJ, 12, e1461–1–e1461–21.
- Downes, M., Devitt, C., Downes, M., & More, S. J. (2015). Neutering of cats and dogs in Ireland; pet owner self-reported perceptions of enabling and disabling factors in the decision to neuter. PeerJ, 3, e1196–1–e1196–17.
- Downes, M., Mervin, C., Byrnes, J., & Scuffham, P. (2015). Telemedicine for general practice: A systematic review protocol. Systematic Reviews, 4(134), 134–1–134–4.
- Kendall, E., Maujean, A., Pepping, C., Downes, M., Lakhani, A., Byrne, J., & Macfarlane, K. (2015). A systematic review of the efficacy of equine-assisted interventions on psychological outcomes. European Journal of Psychotherapy and Counselling, 17(1), 57–79.
- Downes, M., Dean, R., Stavisky, J., Adams, V., Grindlay, D., & Brennan, M. (2013). Methods used to estimate the size of the owned cat and dog population: a systematic review. BMC Veterinary Research, 9, 121–1–121–12.
- Kauffman, E. C., Robinson, B. D., Downes, M., Marcinkiewicz, K., Vourganti, S., Scherr, D. S., … Mongan, N. P. (2013). Estrogen receptor-β expression and pharmacological targeting in bladder cancer. Oncology Reports, 30(1), 131–138.
- Kopparapu, P. K., Boorjian, S. A., Robinson, B. D., Downes, M., Gudas, L. J., Mongan, N. P., & Person, J. L. (2013). Expression of VEGF and its receptors VEGFR1/VEGFR2 is Associated with Invasiveness of Bladder Cancer. Anticancer Research, 33(6), 2381–2390.
- Stavisky, J., Brennan, M., Downes, M., & Dean, R. (2012). Demographics and economic burden of un-owned cats and dogs in the UK: results of a 2010 census. BMC Veterinary Research, 8, 163–1–163–9.
- Downes, M., Clegg, T., Collins, D., McGrath, G., & More, S. (2011). The spatial distribution of pet dogs and pet cats on the island of Ireland. BMC Veterinary Research, 7, 28–1–28–8.
- Kauffman, E. C., Robinson, B. D., Downes, M., Powell, L. G., Lee, M. M., Scherr, D. S., … Mongan, N. P. (2011). Role of Androgen Receptor and Associated Lysine-Demethylase Coregulators, LSD1 and JMJD2A, in Localized and Advanced Human Bladder Cancer. Molecular Carcinogenesis, 50(12), 931–944.
- Roy, A., Downes, M., & Wisnivesky, J. P. (2011). Comprehensive environmental management of asthma and pediatric preventive care. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, 22(3), 277–282.
- Downes, M., Roy, A., McGinn, T. G., & Wisnivesky, J. P. (2010). Factors Associated with Furry Pet Ownership Among Patients with Asthma. Journal of Asthma, 47(7), 742–749.
- Downes, M., Canty, M. J., & More, S. J. (2009). Demography of the pet dog and cat population on the island of Ireland and human factors influencing pet ownership. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 92, 140–149.
- (2019). CARE NSW Trial 栈ealth Economics component
- (2019). Improving access to treatment for children with anxiety disorders: A randomised controlled non-inferiority trial of positive search training
- (2019). MackenzieⳠMission: The Australian Reproductive Screening Carrier Project
- (2019). PBAC Meeting in November 2019
- (2018). Antimicrobial resistances RFQ 03/07/3353 - DoH (Health/17-18/03092) Under DoSO SON3390679
- (2018). Antimicrobial resistances RFQ 03/07/3353 - DoH (Health/17-18/03092) Under DoSO SON3390679 (Variation to Agreement)
- (2018). Post-market Review (PMR) of the use of biologics in the treatment of severe chronic plaque psoriasis CPP: cost-effectiveness component
- (2017). Australian Safety & Effcacy Regsiter for New Interventional Procedures - Surgical - Under the SOA for the Health Policy Advisory Commitee on Technology (HealthPACT) Offer # 14_057
- (2017). Interventions and services for stuttering
- (2017). Official Order for Post-market Review of Biologics for severe chronic plaque psoriasis Under SON 3281043-007
- (2017). PBAC round 2
- (2017). Variation - Post-market Review of Biologics for severe chronic plaque psoriasis
- (2017). Work Order - MSAC 1420 Extracorporeal Photpheresis for the Treatment of Sub-cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma (Commentary of a Codependent Submission Based Assessment) (MSAC - SON 3281043-007)
- (2017). Work Order - MSAC 1476 Development of Population, Intervention, Comparator, Outcomes (PICO) (MSAC - SON 3281043-007)
- (2016). Evaluation of the participation trials, including opt-out for the My Health Record system
- (2015). Farming 4 Care: Using nature to cultivate resilience in young people
Dr Martin Downes is a Senior Research Fellow at Griffith University, and has considerable experience in, epidemiology, evidence-based medicine and health technology assessment. Martin has been in health research since 2006 and has been proactive in creating and completing projects in health research including: prevalence and interactions of pet ownership with general population health and asthma sufferers; the prevalence of and factors associated with suicidal ideation and self-harm in the veterinary profession and evidence based research in therapy of mental illness.
Martin completed a PhD in epidemiology in University College Dublin and worked in Mount Sinai School of Medicine on data from the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention to investigate environmental control patterns among asthmatics. Martin worked at The University of Nottingham and developed experience in Evidence Based Medicine and health technology assessment working on projects such as a Cochrane systematic review examining animal assisted therapy in mentally ill patient, a systematic review of research methods, and the development of a critical appraisal tool for cross sectional studies.
GCertPublicH Graduate Certificate In Public Health, University of Liverpool 2013 - 2015
Dip Comp Sc Diploma of Computing Science, Open University 2001 - 2003
PhD Doctor of Philosophy, University College Dublin 2006 - 2010
BVSc Bachelor of Veterinary Science, University College Dublin 1994 - 1999
AEA Memeber, Australasian Epidemiological Association 2015 -
IEA Member, International Epidemiological Association 2015 -