|Dr Seib’s research focuses on understanding how certain bacteria cause disease in humans, with the aim to identify vaccine and drug targets. She currently works on several pathogenic bacteria, including Neisseria gonorrhoeae (causes the sexually transmitted infection gonorrhea, which can lead to infertility), Neisseria meningitidis (causes sepsis, meningitis), and Moraxella catarrhalis (causes middle ear infections, exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease),|
- Antibiotic resistance
- Infectious Diseases
- Vaccine Development
- BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
- Cellular Interactions (incl. Adhesion, Matrix, Cell Wall)
- Epigenetics (incl. Genome Methylation and Epigenomics)
- Host-Parasite Interactions
- Innate Immunity
- MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES
- Microbial Genetics
- Atack, J., Tan, A., Bakaletz, L. O., Jennings, M., & Seib, K. (2018). Phasevarions of Bacterial Pathogens: Methylomics Sheds New Light on Old Enemies. Trends in Microbiology, 26(8), 715–726.
- Day, C., Paton, A. W., Harvey, R. M., Hartley-Tassell, L., Seib, K., Tiralongo, J., … Jennings, M. (2017). Lectin activity of the pneumococcal pilin proteins. Scientific Reports, 7, 17784–1–17784–6.
- Mubaiwa, T., Semchenko, E., Hartley-Tassell, L., Day, C., Jennings, M., & Seib, K. (2017). The sweet side of the pathogenic Neisseria: The role of glycan interactions in colonisation and disease. Pathogens and Disease, 75(5), ftx063–1–ftx063–9.
- Tan, A., Blakeway, L., Bakaletz, L. O., Boitano, M., Clark, T. A., Korlach, J., … Seib, K. (2017). Complete genome sequence of Moraxella catarrhalis strain CCRI- 195ME, isolated from the middle ear. Genome Announcements, 5(21), e00384–17–1–e00384–17–2.
- Blakeway, L., Tan, A., Peak, I., & Seib, K. (2017). Virulence determinants of Moraxella catarrhalis: Distribution and considerations for vaccine development. Microbiology, 163(10), 1371–1384.
- Mubaiwa, T., Hartley-Tassell, L., Semchenko, E., Jen, F., Srikhanta, Y., Day, C., … Seib, K. (2017). The glycointeractome of serogroup B Neisseria meningitidis strain MC58. Scientific Reports, 7, 5693–1–5693–9.
- Seib, K., Jen, F., Scott, A., Tan, A., & Jennings, M. (2017). Phase variation of DNA methyltransferases and the regulation of virulence and immune evasion in the pathogenic Neisseria. Pathogens and Disease, 75(6), 1–9.
- Semchenko, E., & Seib, K. (2016). Intractable problems require novel solutions: it’s time to get serious about developing a gonorrhoea vaccine. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 1–2.
- Edwards, J., Jennings, M., Apicella, M. A., & Seib, K. (2016). Is gonococcal disease preventable? The importance of understanding immunity and pathogenesis in vaccine development. Critical Reviews in Microbiology, 42(6), 928–941.
- Seib, K., & Jennings, M. (2016). Epigenetics of Infectious Diseases. In Medical Epigenetics (pp. 443–458).
- Tan, A., Hill, D. M. C., Harrison, O. B., Srikhanta, Y., Jennings, M., Maiden, M. C. J., & Seib, K. (2016). Distribution of the type III DNA methyltransferases modA, modB and modD among Neisseria meningitidis genotypes: implications for gene regulation and virulence. Scientific Reports, 6, 21015–1–21015–11.
- Vacca, I., Tordello, E. D., Gasperini, G., Pezzicoli, A., Fede, M. D., Paccani, S. R., … Delany, I. (2016). Neisserial Heparin Binding Antigen (NHBA) Contributes to the Adhesion of Neisseria meningitidis to Human Epithelial Cells. PLoS One, 11(10), e0162878–1–e0162878–17.
- Craig, A. P., Gray, R. T., Edwards, J., Apicella, M. A., Jennings, M., Wilson, D. P., & Seib, K. (2015). The potential impact of vaccination on the prevalence of gonorrhea. Vaccine, 33(36), 4520–4525.
- Seib, K., Jen, F., Tan, A., Scott, A., Kumar, R., Power, P., … Jennings, M. (2015). Specificity of the ModA11, ModA12 and ModD1 epigenetic regulator N6-adenine DNA methyltransferases of Neisseria meningitidis. Nucleic Acids Research, 43(8), 4150–4162.
- Seib, K., Scarselli, M., Comanducci, M., Toneatto, D., & Masignani, V. (2015). Neisseria meningitidis factor H-binding protein fHbp: a key virulence factor and vaccine antigen. Expert Review of Vaccines, 14(6), 841–859.
- Blakeway, L., Power, P., Jen, F., Worboys, S., Boitiano, M., Clark, T. A., … Seib, K. (2014). ModM DNA methyltransferase methylome analysis reveals a potential role for Moraxella catarrhalis phasevarions in otitis media. The FASEB Journal, 28(12), 5197–5207.
- Jen, F., Seib, K., & Jennings, M. (2014). Phasevarions Mediate Epigenetic Regulation of Antimicrobial Susceptibility in Neisseria meningitidis. Antimicrobial agents and Chemotherapy, 58(7), 4219–4221.
- Nesta, B., Valeri, M., Spagnuolo, A., Rosini, R., Mora, M., Donato, P., … Serino, L. (2014). SslE elicits functional antibodies that impair in vitro mucinase activity and in vivo colonization by both intestinal and extraintestinal Escherichia coli strains. PLoS Pathogens, 10(5), e1004124–1–e1004124–12.
- Delany, I., Rappuoli, R., & Seib, K. (2013). Vaccines, reverse vaccinology, and bacterial pathogenesis. Cold Spring Harbor perspectives in medicine, 3(5), a012476–1–a012476–17.
- Delany, I., & Seib, K. (2012). Oxidative and Nitrosative Stress Responses in Pathogenic Neisseria. In Stress Response in Microbiology (pp. 41–90). United Kingdom: Caister Academic Press.
- Moriel, D. G., Rosini, R., Seib, K., Serino, L., Pizza, M., & Rappuoli, R. (2012). Escherichia coli: Great Diversity around a Common Core. mBio, 3(3), e00118–12–1–e00118–12–3.
- Seib, K., Zhao, X., & Rappuoli, R. (2012). Developing vaccines in the era of genomics: a decade of reverse vaccinology. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, 18, 109–116.
- Serino, L., Seib, K., & Pizza, M. (2012). Design of new vaccines in the genomic and post-genomic era. In Innovation in Vaccinology: From Design, Through to Delivery and Testing (pp. 3–15). Germany: Springer.
- Veggi, D., Gentile, M. A., Cantini, F., Surdo, P., Nardi-Dei, V., Seib, K., … Scarselli, M. (2012). The Factor H Binding Protein of Neisseria meningitidis Interacts with Xenosiderophores in Vitro. Biochemistry, 51(46), 9384–9393.
- Budroni, S., Siena, E., Hotopp, J. C. D., Seib, K., Serruto, D., Nofroni, C., … Medini, D. (2011). Neisseria meningitidis is structured in clades associated with restriction modification systems that modulate homologous recombination. National Academy of Sciences. Proceedings (PNAS), 108(11), 4494–4499.
- Echenique-Rivera, H., Muzzi, A., Tordello, E. D., Seib, K., Francois, P., Rappuoli, R., … Serruto, D. (2011). Transcriptome Analysis of Neisseria meningitidis in Human Whole Blood and Mutagenesis Studies Identify Virulence Factors Involved in Blood Survival. PLoS Pathogens, 7(5), e1002027–1–e1002027–18.
- Semchenko, E., Day, C., & Seib, K. (2017). MetQ of Neisseria gonorrhoeae is a surface-expressed antigen that elicits bactericidal and functional blocking antibodies. Infection and Immunity, 85(2), e00898–16–1–e00898–16–17.
- Seib, K., Brunelli, B., Brogioni, B., Palumbo, E., Bambini, S., Muzzi, A., … Pizza, M. (2011). Characterization of Diverse Subvariants of the Meningococcal Factor H (fH) Binding Protein for Their Ability To Bind fH, To Mediate Serum Resistance, and To Induce Bactericidal Antibodies. Infection and Immunity, 79(2), 970–981.
- Seib, K., Pigozzi, E., Muzzi, A., Gawthorne, J., Delany, I., Jennings, M., & Rappuoli, R. (2011). A novel epigenetic regulator associated with the hypervirulent Neisseria meningitidis clonal complex 41/44. FASEB Journal, 25(10), 3622–3633.
- Seib, K., & Rappuoli, R. (2010). Difficulty in Developing a Neisserial Vaccine. In Neisseria: Molecular Mechanisms of Pathogenesis (pp. 195–226). United Kingdom: Caister Academic Press.
- Seib, K., Oriente, F., Adu-Bobie, J., Montanari, P., Ferlicca, F., Giuliani, M. M., … Delany, I. (2010). Influence of serogroup B meningococcal vaccine antigens on growth and survival of the meningococcus in vitro and in ex vivo and in vivo models of infection. Vaccine, 28(12), 2416–2427.
- Serruto, D., Spadafina, T., Ciucchi, L., Lewis, L. A., Ram, S., Tontini, M., … Aricò, B. (2010). Neisseria meningitidis GNA2132, a heparin-binding protein that induces protective immunity in humans. National Academy of Sciences. Proceedings (PNAS), 107(8), 3770–3775.
- Wu, H.-J., Seib, K., Srikhanta, Y., Edwards, J., Kidd, S. P., Maguire, T. L., … Jennings, M. (2010). Manganese regulation of virulence factors and oxidative stress resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Journal of Proteomics, 73(5), 899–916.
- Fantappie, L., Metruccio, M. M. E., Seib, K., Oriente, F., Cartocci, E., Ferlicca, F., … Delany, I. (2009). The RNA Chaperone Hfq Is Involved in Stress Response and Virulence in Neisseria meningitidis and Is a Pleiotropic Regulator of Protein Expression. Infection and Immunity, 77(5), 1842–1853.
- Rinaudo, C. D., Telford, J. L., Rappuoli, R., & Seib, K. (2009). Vaccinology in the genome era. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 119(9), 2515–2525.
- Seib, K., Dougan, G., & Rappuoli, R. (2009). The Key Role of Genomics in Modern Vaccine and Drug Design for Emerging Infectious Diseases. PLoS Genetics, 5(10), e1000612–1–e1000612–8.
- Seib, K., Serruto, D., Oriente, F., Delany, I., Adu-Bobie, J., Veggi, D., … Pizza, M. (2009). Factor H-Binding Protein Is Important for Meningococcal Survival in Human Whole Blood and Serum and in the Presence of the Antimicrobial Peptide LL-37. Infection and Immunity, 77(1), 292–299.
- Srikhanta, Y. N., Dowideit, S. J., Edwards, J. L., Falsetta, M. L., Wu, H.-J., Harrison, O. B., … Jennings, M. P. (2009). Phasevarions Mediate Random Switching of Gene Expression in Pathogenic Neisseria. PLoS Pathogens, 5(4), e1000400–1–e1000400–22.
- Ieva, R., Roncarati, D., Metruccio, M. M. E., Seib, K., Scarlato, V., & Delany, I. (2008). OxyR tightly regulates catalase expression in Neisseria meningitidis through both repression and activation mechanisms. Molecular Microbiology, 70(5), 1152–1165.
- Seib, K., Wu, H.-J., Srikhanta, Y. N., Edwards, J. L., Falsetta, M. L., Hamilton, A. J., … Jennings, M. P. (2007). Characterization of the OxyR regulon of Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Molecular Microbiology, 63(1), 54–68.
- Power, P., Seib, K., & Jennings, M. (2006). Pilin glycosylation in Neisseria meningitidis occurs by a similar pathway to wzy-dependent O-antigen biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 347(4), 904–908.
- Seib, K., Wu, H., Kidd, S., Apicella, M., Jennings, M., & McEwan, A. (2006). Defenses against oxidative stress in Neisseria gonorrhoeae: a system tailored for a challenging environment. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, 70(2), 344–361.
- Wu, H., Seib, K., Srikhanta, Y., Kidd, S. P., Edwards, J., Maguire, T., … Jennings, M. (2006). PerR controls Mn-dependent resistance to oxidative stress in Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Molecular Microbiology, 60(2), 401–416.
- Seib, K., Simons, M., Wu, H., McEwan, A., Nauseef, W., Apicella, M., & Jennings, M. (2005). Investigation of oxidative stress defenses of Neisseria gonorrhoeae by using a human polymorphonuclear leukocyte survival assay. Infection and Immunity, 73(8), 5269–5272.
- Wu, H., Seib, K., Edwards, J., Apicella, M., McEwan, A., & Jennings, M. (2005). Azurin of pathogenic Neisseria spp. is involved in defense against hydrogen peroxide and survival within cervical epithelial cells. Infection and Immunity, 73(12), 8444–8448.
- Seib, K., Wu, H., McEwan, A., Apicella, M., & Jennings, M. (2004). Defenses against Oxidative Stress in Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Neisseria meningitidis: Distinctive Systems for Different Lifestyles. The Journal of Infectious Diseases, 190(1), 136–147.
- Seib, K., Jennings, M., & McEwan, A. (2003). A Sco homologue plays a role in defence against oxidative stress in pathogenic Neisseria. FEBS Letters, 546, 411–415.
- Seib, K., Peak, I., & Jennings, M. (2002). Phase variable restriction-modification systems in Moraxella catarrhalis. FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, 32(2), 159–165.
- Zhan, J., Jia, A., Semchenko, E., Bian, Y., Zhou, A. M., Li, Z., … Zhou, Y. (2019). Self-derived structure-disrupting peptides targeting methionine aminopeptidase in pathogenic bacteria: a new strategy to generate antimicrobial peptides. FASEB Journal, 33, 1–10.
- Edwards, J., Jennings, M., & Seib, K. (2018). Neisseria gonorrhoeae vaccine development: Hope on the horizon? Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, 31(3), 246–250.
- Mubaiwa, T., Hartley-Tassell, L., Semchenko, E., Day, C., Jennings, M., & Seib, K. (2018). The Bexsero Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B vaccine antigen NHBA is a high-affinity chondroitin sulfate binding protein. Scientific Reports, 8, 6512–1–6512–9.
- Seib, K. (2018). Gonorrhoea vaccines: a step in the right direction. The Lancet, 390(10102), 1567–1569.
- Tan, A., Atack, J., Jennings, M., & Seib, K. (2016). The Capricious Nature of Bacterial Pathogens: Phasevarions and vaccine Development. Frontiers in Immunology, 7(586), 586–1–586–9.
- (2019). GSK Consultaion - Gonococcal vaccine
- (2018). Bacterial virulence regulation in protracted bacterial bronchitis and bronchiectasis
- (2018). Preventing gonorrhea: does the licenced meningococcal vaccine Bexsero provide cross- protection?
- (2017). A world-class bioanalytical facility: Circular dichroism spectrophotometer, surface plasmon resonance and enhanced protein production and pruification
- (2017). Developing species-specific, structure-targeting peptides as a novel class of antibiotics
- (2017). Development of novel immunotherapies for antibiotic resistant gonorrhoea
- (2016). Characterising gene expression in Moraxella catarrhalis during middle ear infection
- (2016). Novel epigenetic regulatory mechanisms in Moraxella catarrhalis and non-typeable Haemophilus influenzae: impact on vaccine development and role in pathology
- (2016). The glyco-interactome of pathogenic Neisseria: understanding disease and defining vaccine targets
- (2014). A world class glyco-analytical facility
- (2013). Investigating the role in disease of a DNA methyltransferase found in virulent strains of Neisseria meningitidis
- (2013). Investigating variable protein expression in human pathogens as a means to understand disease processes and to optimise the selection of vaccine antigens
- (2012). Identification of novel gonococcal virulence factors and vaccine antigens based on their expression during host cell contact and their role in association, invasion and survival in cervical epithelia
- (2012). Role in disease of a novel epigenetic regulator associated with the hypervirulent Neisseria meningitidis clonal complex 41/44
- (2007). Characterisation of Neisseria meningitidis vaccine candidates
Dr Seib’s research is focused on understanding the processes involved in host colonisation and disease, with the aim to identify therapeutic targets of mucosal pathogens including Moraxella catarrhalis (causes middle ear infections and exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), Neisseria meningitidis (causes sepsis and meningitis), Neisseria gonorrhoeae (causes the sexually transmitted infection gonorrhea, which can lead to infertility) and Escherichia coli (causes intestinal and urinary tract disease as well sepsis and meningitis).
Dr Seib completed a PhD in microbiology in 2004 from the University of Queensland (Brisbane, Australia) and worked briefly as a Postdoctoral Researcher in Australia, followed by 6.5 years at Novartis Vaccines (Siena, Italy) as a Postdoctoral Fellow and Project Leader. During this time she developed a strong understanding of industry, vaccine development, and team management. She was part of the team working on the serogroup B meningococcal vaccine (Bexsero™) that was recently licensed in Europe, Australia and the USA.
Dr Seib returned to Australia in late 2012 and is a Group Leader at the Institute for Glycomics. The Institute for Glycomics is a flagship biomedical research institute at Griffith University’s Gold Coast campus. The purpose-designed building is located adjacent to the new Gold Coast University Hospital and is an integral component of the emerging Gold Coast Health and Knowledge Precinct, making it ideally situated for translational research, clinical trials and research training. The Institute’s advantage is its focused approach to drug, vaccine and diagnostic technology discovery and development using its world-leading scientific expertise and a unique multidisciplinary approach.
Dr Seib was awarded an Australian National Health and Medical Research (NHMRC) Career Development Fellowship in 2013 and has additional funding from NHMRC Project Grants. Her group currently consists of 2 Postdoctoral Researchers, 2 PhD Students and several undergraduate work-experience students. Within the Institute she is a member of the Research and Research Training Committee and is a Higher Degree Research Convenor, responsible for guiding PhD students through their PhD program.
Dr Seib is actively involved in several professional activities. She is the current Vice President (Scientific Affairs) of the Australian Society for Microbiology (ASM), an ASM Fellow (FASM), an Associate Editor for the journals Scientific Reports, and BMC Microbiology, and a regular reviewer of manuscripts and grant applications for various journals and international granting bodies. Dr Seib also regularly participates in community activities to increase interest in Science (e.g., the Gold Coast Kids’ S.T.E.M. Convention; Griffith Science on the GO! - Annual Science & Engineering Challenges; Griffith University Mentoring Program; Gold Coast Science Fair).
PhD Doctor Of Philosophy, University of Queensland 2000 - 2004
BScHons Bachelor Of Science With Honours, University of Queensland 1999 - 1999
BSc Bachelor of Science, University of Queensland 1996 - 1998