|Advance Queensland Fellow|
- Invertebrate biology
- Marine Biology
- Molecular aquaculture
- molecular genetics
- Aguilera, F., McDougall, C., & Degnan, B. M. (2017). Co-option and de novo gene evolution underlie molluscan shell diversity. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 34(4), 779–792.
- Hall, M. R., Kocot, K. M., Baughman, K. W., Fernandez-Valverde, S. L., Gauthier, M. E. A., Hatleberg, W. L., … Degnan, B. M. (2017). The Crown-of-Thorns starfish genome as a guide for biocontrol of this coral reef pest. Nature, 544(7649), 231–234.
- Kocot, K. M., McDougall, C., & Degnan, B. M. (2017). Developing Perspectives on Molluscan Shells Part 1: Introduction and Molecular Biology. In Physiology of Molluscs: A Collection of Selected Reviews (pp. 1–41).
- Kocot, K. M., Aguilera, F., McDougall, C., Jackson, D. J., & Degnan, B. M. (2016). Sea shell diversity and rapidly evolving secretomes: Insights into the evolution of biomineralization. Frontiers in Zoology, 13(1), 23–1–23–10.
- McDougall, C., Moase, P., & Degnan, B. M. (2016). Host and donor influence on pearls produced by the silver-lip pearl oyster, Pinctada maxima. Aquaculture, 450, 313–320.
- McDougall, C., Woodcroft, B. J., & Degnan, B. M. (2016). The Widespread Prevalence and Functional Significance of Silk-Like Structural Proteins in Metazoan Biological Materials. PLoS One, 11(7), e0159128–1–e0159128–18.
- Wang, T., Nuurai, P., McDougall, C., York, P. S., Bose, U., Degnan, B. M., & Cummins, S. F. (2016). Identification of a female spawn-associated Kazal-type inhibitor from the tropical abalone Haliotis asinina. Journal of Peptide Science, 22(7), 461–470.
- Wollesen, T., Monje, S. V. R., McDougall, C., Degnan, B. M., & Wanninger, A. (2015). The ParaHox gene Gsx patterns the apical organ and central nervous system but not the foregut in scaphopod and cephalopod mollusks. EvoDevo, 6(1), 41–1–41–18.
- Aguilera, F., McDougall, C., & Degnan, B. M. (2014). Evolution of the tyrosinase gene family in bivalve molluscs: Independent expansion of the mantle gene repertoire. Acta Biomaterialia, 10(9), 3855–3865.
- Baughman, K. W., McDougall, C., Cummins, S. F., Hall, M. R., Degnan, B. M., Satoh, N., & Shoguchi, E. (2014). Genomic organization of Hox and ParaHox clusters in the echinoderm, Acanthaster planci. Genesis, 52(12), 952–958.
- Budd, A., McDougall, C., Green, K. M., & Degnan, B. M. (2014). Control of shell pigmentation by secretory tubules in the abalone mantle. Frontiers in Zoology, 11(1), 62–1–62–9.
- Wollesen, T., McDougall, C., Degnan, B. M., & Wanninger, A. (2014). POU genes are expressed during the formation of individual ganglia of the cephalopod central nervous system. EvoDevo, 5(1), 41–1–41–15.
- Aguilera, F., McDougall, C., & Degnan, B. M. (2013). Origin, evolution and classification of type-3 copper proteins: Lineage-specific gene expansions and losses across the Metazoa. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 13, 96–1–96–12.
- McDougall, C., Aguilera, F., & Degnan, B. M. (2013). Rapid evolution of pearl oyster shell matrix proteins with repetitive, low-complexity domains. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 10(82), 20130041–1–20130041–10.
- Hui, J. H. L., McDougall, C., Monteiro, A. S., Holland, P. W. H., Arendt, D., Balavoine, G., & Ferrier, D. E. K. (2012). Extensive chordate and annelid macrosynteny reveals ancestral homeobox gene organization. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 29(1), 157–165.
- McDougall, C., Green, K. M., Jackson, D. J., & Degnan, B. M. (2011). Ultrastructure of the mantle of the gastropod Haliotis asinina and mechanisms of shell regionalization. Cells, Tissues, Organs, 194, 103–107.
- McDougall, C., Korchagina, N., Tobin, J. L., & Ferrier, D. E. K. (2011). Annelid Distal-less/Dlx duplications reveal varied post-duplication fates. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 11(1), 241–1–241–16.
I am a molecular biologist with a broad interest in evolution and development (evo-devo) and functional genomics, particularly of marine invertebrates. My primary research area is in the field of molluscan biomineralisation, with a focus on identifying the genes involved in controlling shell synthesis, understanding how these genes have evolved, and investigating how variation in these genetic factors leads to differences in shell (or pearl) properties. My research also uses comparative and functional genomics and experimental studies to provide practical outcomes for sustainable aquaculture.
For a full publication list please see my ResearchGate profile (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Carmel_McDougall)
I welcome enquiries from potential HDR (PhD and Masters) candidates interested in joining my research group. Please contact me to discuss potential projects. Expressions of interest for Griffith University scholarship rounds close in April and September annually.
DPhil Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Oxford 2005 - 2009
BScHons Bachelor Of Science With Honours, The University of Queensland 2000 - 2003
Treasurer, Malacological Society of Australasia 2015 -
Associate Editor, Molluscan Research 2017 -