Prof Brendan Mackey is the Director of the Griffith Climate Change Response Program.
He is a Coordinating Lead Author for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Sixth Assessment Report, Chapter 11.
- Climate change adaptation
- Climate change mitigation
- Disaster resilience
- Ecosystem based adaptation
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
- Banwell, N., Rutherford, S., Mackey, B., & Chu, C. (2018). Towards Improved Linkage of Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation in Health: A Review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(4), 793–1–793–18.
- Mackey, B. (2015). Green Vision for A Brown Country. In Fairness, opportunity and security: Filling the policy vacuum (pp. 1–6).
- Mackey, B. (2015). Protected areas and an ecosystem-based approach to climate change mitigation and adaptation. In Valuing Nature: Protected Areas and Ecosystem Services (pp. 62–67).
- Mackey, B., Figgis, P., Fitzsimons, J. A., Irving, J., & Clarke, P. (2015). Key directions for valuing ecosystem services and protected areas in Australia. In Valuing Nature: Protected Areas and Ecosystem Services (pp. 130–137).
- Gould, S., & Mackey, B. (2015). Site vegetation characteristics are more important than landscape context in determining bird assemblages in revegetation. Restoration Ecology, 23(5), 670–680.
- Mackey, B., & Rogers, N. (2015). Climate Justice and the distribution of rights to emit carbon. In Access to International Justice (pp. 225–240).
- Keith, H., Lindenmayer, D., Macintosh, A., & Mackey, B. (2015). Under what circumstances do wood products from native forests benefit climate change mitigation? PLoS One, 10(10), e0139640–1–e0139640–23.
- Kormos, C., Bertzky, B., Jaeger, T., Shi, Y., Badman, T., Hilty, J. A., … Watson, J. E. M. (2015). A Wilderness Approach under the World Heritage Convention. Conservation Letters, 1–8.
- Mackey, B., & Claudie, D. (2015). Points of Contact: Integrating traditional and scientific knowledge for biocultural conservation. Environmental Ethics, 37, 341–357.
- Mackey, B., Jacobs, P., & Hugh, S. (2015). Classifying and mapping the Australian Alps Native Vegetation. Cunninghamia, 15, 185–199.
- Mackey, B., DellaSala, D. A., Kormos, C., Lindenmayer, D., Kumpel, N., Zimmerman, B., … Watson, J. E. M. (2015). Policy Options for the Worlds Primary Forests in Multilateral Environmental Agreements. Conservation Letters, 8(2), 139–147.
- Rogers, N., & Mackey, B. (2015). A Wild Law Perspective on Wilderness Management: Managing the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area. Australasian Journal of Natural Resources Law and Policy, 18(2), 145–165.
- Hallgren, W., Beaumont, L., Bowness, A., Chambers, L. E., Graham, E., Holewa, H., … Weis, G. (2015). The Biodiversity and Climate Change Virtual Laboratory: How Ecology and Big Data can be utilised in the fight against vector-borne diseases. Presented at the MODSIM 2015, Gold Coast, Australia (2015).
- Mackey, B. (2014). The Future of Conservation: An Australian Perspective. In W., George, Crist, Eileen, Butler, Tom (Ed.), Keeping the Wild: Against the Domestication of Earth (pp. 126–136). United States: Island Press.
- Dostine, P., Woinarski, J. Z., Mackey, B., & Nix, H. (2014). Patterns of grassland productivity, composition and seed abundance, and the diet of the flock bronzewing pigeon Phaps histrionica at one site in northern Australia over a period of marked seasonal change. Wildlife Research, 41(4), 343–355.
- Gardner, J. L., Amano, T., Mackey, B., Sutherland, W. J., Clayton, M., & Peters, A. (2014). Dynamic size responses to climate change: prevailing effects of rising temperature drive long-term body size increases in a semi-arid passerine. Global Change Biology, 20(7), 2062–2075.
- Gould, S., Hugh, S., Porfirio, L. L., & Mackey, B. (2014). Ecosystem greenspots pass the first test. Landscape Ecology, 1–11.
- Gould, S., Beeton, N. J., Harris, R. M. B., Hutchinson, M. F., Lechner, A. M., Porfirio, L. L., & Mackey, B. (2014). A tool for simulating and communicating uncertainty when modelling species distributions under future climates. Ecology and Evolution, 1–14.
- Keith, H., Lindenmayer, D. B., Mackey, B., Blair, D., Carter, L., McBurney, L., … Konishi-Nagano, T. (2014). Accounting for Biomass Carbon Stock Change Due to Wildfire in Temperate Forest Landscapes in Australia. PloS One, 9(9), e107126–1–e107126–17.
- Porfirio, L. L., Harris, R. M. B., Lefroy, E. C., Hugh, S., Gould, S., Lee, G., … Mackey, B. (2014). Improving the Use of Species Distribution Models in Conservation Planning and Management under Climate Change. PloS One, 9(11), e113749–1–e113749–21.
- Keith, H., Lindenmayer, D., Mackey, B., Blair, D., Carter, L., McBurney, L., … Konishi-Nagano, T. (2014). Managing temperate forests for carbon storage: impacts of logging versus forest protection on carbon stocks. Ecosphere, 5(6), 75–1–75–34.
- Mackey, B. (2014). Counting trees, carbon and climate change. Significance, 11(1), 19–23.
- Kim, R. E., & Mackey, B. (2014). International environmental law as a complex adaptive system. International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, 14(1), 5–24.
- Mackey, B., & Lindenmayer, D. (2014). Fossil fuels future. Science, 345(6198), 739–740.
- Mackey, B., & Watson, J. E. M. (2014). Who Will Save the Last Primary Forests on Earth? National Geographic - News Watch.
- Mackey, B., Possingham, H. P., & Ferrier, S. (2013). Connectivity conservation principles for Australias National Wildlife Corridors. In Linking Australia’s Landscapes: Lessons and Opportunities from Large-scale Conservation Networks (pp. 233–243). Australia: CSIRO Publishing.
- Worboys, G. L., & Mackey, B. (2013). Connectivity conservation initiatives: a national and international perspective. In Linking Australia’s Landscapes: Lessons and Opportunities from Large-scale Conservation Networks (pp. 7–21). Australia: CSIRO Publishing.
- Ajani, J. I., Keith, H., Blakers, M., Mackey, B., & King, H. P. (2013). Comprehensive carbon stock and flow accounting: A national framework to support climate change mitigation policy. Ecological Economics, 89, 61–72.
- Lee, P. S., Mackey, B., & Berry, S. L. (2013). Modelling vegetation structure-based bird habitat resources in Australian temperate woodlands, using multi-sensors. European Journal of Remote Sensing, 46(1), 641–674.
- Harris, R. M. B., Porfirio, L. L., Hugh, S., Lee, G., Bindoff, N. L., Mackey, B., & Beeton, N. J. (2013). To Be Or Not to Be? Variable selection can change the projected fate of a threatened species under future climate. Ecological Management & Restoration, 14(3), 230–234.
- Mackey, B., Prentice, I. C., Steffen, W., House, J. I., Lindenmayer, D., Keith, H., & Berry, S. (2013). Untangling the confusion around land carbon science and climate change mitigation policy. Nature Climate Change, 3, 552–557.
- Woinarski, J. C. Z., Green, J., Fisher, A., Ensbey, M., & Mackey, B. (2013). The Effectiveness of Conservation Reserves: Land Tenure Impacts upon Biodiversity across Extensive Natural Landscapes in the Tropical Savannahs of the Northern Territory, Australia. Land, 2(1), 20–36.
- Ziembicki, M., Woinarski, J., & Mackey, B. (2013). Evaluating the status of species using Indigenous knowledge: Novel evidence for major native mammal declines in northern Australia. Biological Conservation, 157, 78–92.
- Bosselmann, K., Brown, P. G., & Mackey, B. (2012). Enabling a Flourishing Earth: Challenges for the Green Economy, Opportunities for Global Governance. Review of European Community and International Environmental Law, 21(1), 23–30.
- Sano, M., Richards, R., Sahin, O., & Mackey, B. (2013). Systems thinking and modelling for Coastal Zone Management and Climate Change Adaptation.
- Kosoy, N., Brown, P., Bosselmann, K., Duraiappah, A., Mackey, B., Martinez-Alier, J., … Thomson, R. (2012). Pillars for a flourishing Earth: planetary boundaries, economic growth delusion and green economy. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 4(1), 74–79.
- Cawardine, J., O’Connor, T., Legge, S., Mackey, B., Possingham, H. P., & Martin, T. G. (2012). Prioritizing threat management for biodiversity conservation. Conservation Letters, 5(3), 196–204.
- Nalau, J., Becken, S., Noakes, S., & Mackey, B. (2017). Mapping Tourism Stakeholders Weather and Climate Information-Seeking Behavior in Fiji. Weather, Climate, and Society, 9(3), 377–391.
- Mackey, B., Berry, S., Hugh, S., Ferrier, S., Harwood, T. D., & Williams, K. J. (2012). Ecosystem greenspots: identifying potential drought, fire, and climate-change micro-refuges. Ecological Applications, 22(6), 1852–1864.
- Banwell, N., Rutherford, S., Mackey, B., Street, R., & Chu, C. (2018). Commonalities between Disaster and Climate Change Risks for Health: A Theoretical Framework. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(3), 538–1–538–11.
- Hallgren, W., Beaumont, L., Bowness, A., Chambers, L., Graham, E., Holewa, H., … Weis, G. (2016). The Biodiversity and Climate Change Virtual Laboratory: Where ecology meets big data. Environmental Modelling & Software, 76, 182–186.
- Keith, H., Mackey, B., Berry, S., Lindenmayer, D., & Gibbons, P. (2010). Estimating carbon carrying capacity in natural forest ecosystems across heterogeneous landscapes: addressing sources of error. Global Change Biology, 16(11), 2971–2989.
- Berry, S., & Mackey, B. (2018). On modelling the relationship between vegetation greenness and water balance and land use change. Scientific Reports, 8, 9066–1–6066–13.
- Hafezi, M., Sahin, O., Stewart, R., & Mackey, B. (2018). Creating a Novel Multi-Layered Integrative Climate Change Adaptation Planning Approach Using a Systematic Literature Review. Sustainability (Switzerland), 10(11), 4100–1–4100–30.
- Mackey, B., & Ware, D. (2018). Limits to Capital Works Adaptation in the Coastal Zones and Islands: Lessons for the Pacific. In Limits to Climate Change Adaptation (pp. 301–323).
- Morgan, E., Nalau, J., & Mackey, B. (2019). Assessing the alignment of national-level adaptation plans to the Paris Agreement. Environmental Science and Policy, 93, 208–220.
- Kormos, C. F., Mittermeier, R. A., Jaeger, T., & Mackey, B. (2016). A Geography of Hope: Saving the Last Primary Forests.
- Williamson, G. J., Christidis, L., Norman, J., Brook, B., Mackey, B., & Bowman, D. J. S. (2011). The use of Australian bioregions as spatial units of analysis to explore relationships between climate and songbird diversity. Pacific Conservation Biology, 17(4), 354–360.
- Mackey, B., Gilmore, S., Pringle, H., Foreman, P., Bommel, L. V., Berry, S., & Haseler, M. (2010). BioPrEP – a regional, process-based approach for assessment of land with high conservation value for Bush Heritage Australia. Ecological Management & Restoration, 11(1), 51–60.
- Mackey, B. (2018). Elephants in the Kitchen: Responding to the Challenge of Rapidly Changing Climate and Land Use. In Land use in Australia: Past, Present and Future (pp. 241–250).
- Mackey, B., Jacobs, P., Porfirio, L. L., & Hugh, S. (2016). Natural icons and threats: An approach to landscape conservation planning. Parks, 22(1), 51–62.
- Watson, J. E. M., Shanahan, D. F., Marco, M. D., Allan, J., Laurance, W. F., Sanderson, E. W., … Venter, O. (2016). Catastrophic Declines in Wilderness Areas Undermine Global Environment Targets. Current Biology, 26(21), 2929–2934.
- Morgan, E., Hallgren, W., Helfer, F., Sahin, O., Nalau, J., Onyango, E., … Mackey, B. (2017). Implications of the Paris Climate Change Agreement for Adaptation Research and Universities. In Climate Change Research at Universities (pp. 251–262).
- Butler, O., Elser, J. J., Lewis, T., Mackey, B., & Chen, C. (2018). The phosphorus‐rich signature of fire in the soil氬ant system: a global meta‐analysis. Ecology Letters, 21, 335–344.
- Kormos, C., Mackey, B., DellaSala, D. A., Kumpel, N., Jaeger, T., Mittermeier, R. A., & Filardi, C. (2017). Primary Forests: Definition, Status and Future Prospects for Global Conservation. In Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences (pp. 1–11).
- Keith, H., Mackey, B., & Lindenmayer, D. B. (2009). Re-evaluation of forest biomass carbon stocks and lessons from the worlds most carbon-dense forests. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106(28), 11635–11640.
- Hales, R., & Mackey, B. (2018). Carbon Budgeting Post-COP21: The Need for an Equitable Strategy for Meeting CO2e Targets. In Pathways to a Sustainable Economy: Bridging the Gap between Paris Climate Change Commitments and Net Zero Emissions (pp. 209–220).
- Mackey, B., Cadman, S., Rogers, N., & Hugh, S. (2017). Assessing the risk to the conservation status of temperate rainforest from exposure to mining, commercial logging, and climate change: A Tasmanian case study. Biological Conservation, 215, 19–29.
- Bennett, A. F., Haslem, A., Cheal, D. C., Clarke, M. F., Jones, R. N., Koehn, J. D., … Yen, A. L. (2009). Ecological processes: A key element in strategies for nature conservation. Ecological Management & Restoration, 10(3), 192–199.
- Porfirio, L. L., Harris, R. M. B., Stojanovic, D., Webb, M. H., & Mackey, B. (2016). Projected direct and indirect effects of climate change on the Swift Parrot, an endangered migratory species. Emu: Austral Ornithology, 116(3), 273–283.
- Maron, M., Gordon, A., Mackey, B., Possingham, H., & Watson, J. E. M. (2016). Interactions Between Biodiversity Offsets and Protected Area Commitments: Avoiding Perverse Outcomes. Conservation Letters, 1–6.
- Onyango, E., Sahin, O., Awiti, A., Chu, C., & Mackey, B. (2016). An integrated risk and vulnerability assessment framework for climate change and malaria transmission in East Africa. Malaria Journal, 15, 551–1–551–12.
- Mackay, S., Brown, R., Gonelevu, M., Pelesikoti, N., Kocovanua, T., Iaken, R., … Mackey, B. (2018). Overcoming barriers to climate change information management in small island developing states: lessons from pacific SIDS. Climate Policy, 1–14.
- Allan, J. R., Kormos, C., Jaeger, T., Venter, O., Bertzky, B., Shi, Y., … Watson, J. E. M. (2018). Gaps and opportunities for the World Heritage Convention to contribute to global wilderness conservation. Conservation Biology, 32(1), 116–126.
- Lee, P. S., & Mackey, B. (2018). Development of a bird habitat resource classification scheme based on vegetation structure analysis. Current Science, 115(12), 2307–2315.
- Onyango, E., Sahin, O., Chu, C., & Mackey, B. (2016). An Integrated Modelling Approach to Climate Change and Malaria Vulnerability Assessments. Presented at the iEMSs 2016, Toulouse, France (2016).
- Mackey, B., Berry, S. L., & Brown, T. (2008). Reconciling approaches to biogeographical regionalization: a systematic and generic framework examined with a case study of the Australian continent. Journal of Biogeography, 35(2), 213–229.
- Nalau, J., Becken, S., Loehr, J., Parsons, M., Brown, C., & Mackey, B. (2018). The role of indigenous and traditional knowledge in ecosystem-based adaptation: a review of the literature and case studies from the Pacific Islands. Weather, Climate, and Society, 10, 851–865.
- Porfirio, L. L., Lefroy, T., Hugh, S., & Mackey, B. (2017). Monitoring the impact of feral horses on vegetation condition using remotely sensed fPAR: A case study in AustraliaⳠalpine parks. Parks, 23(2), 27–38.
- Nalau, J., Becken, S., & Mackey, B. (2018). Ecosystem-based Adaptation: A review of the constraints. Environmental Science and Policy, 89, 357–364.
- Tiernan, A., Drennan, L., Nalau, J., Onyango, E., Morrissey, L., & Mackey, B. (2018). A review of themes in disaster resilience literature and international practice since 2012. Policy Design and Practice, 1–22.
- Vieira, L. C., Serrao-Neumann, S., Howes, M., & Mackey, B. (2018). Unpacking components of sustainable and resilient urban food systems. Journal of Cleaner Production, 200, 318–330.
- Hallgren, W., Santana, F., Low-Choy, S., Rehn, J. H. K., & Mackey, B. (2017). Sensitivity Analysis to Configuration Option Settings in a Selection of Species Distribution Modelling Algorithms. Presented at the MODSIM 2017, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia (2017).
- Becken, S., & Mackey, B. (2017). What role for offsetting aviation greenhouse gas emissions in a deep-cut carbon world? Journal of Air Transport Management, 63, 71–83.
- Sabetraftar, K., Mackey, B., & Croke, B. (2011). Sensitivity of modelled gross primary productivity to topographic effects on surface radiation: A case study in the Cotter River Catchment, Australia. Ecological Modelling, 222(3), 795–803.
- Mackey, B., Watson, J. E. M., Hope, G., & Gilmore, S. (2008). Climate change, biodiversity conservation, and the role of protected areas: An Australian perspective. Biodiversity, 9, 11–18.
- Mackey, B. (2013). Climate change is everyones business. In M. McIntosh (Ed.), The Necessary Transition: The Journey towards the Sustainable Enterprise Economy (pp. 171–181). United Kingdom: Greenleaf Publishing.
- (2019). Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Sixth Assessment Report Author Funding
- (2018). Deepening Regional Cooperation on Sustainable Development and Climate Change
- (2017). EcoCloud: Ecoscience Research Data Cloud and Data Enhanced Virtual Laboratory (NCRIS 2017)
- (2017). ClimateWatch: Building a citizen science phenology network
- (2017). How will increased drought affect herbivory-based insect communities in Australian tropical rainforests? (Claire Gely)
- (2016). Consultancy for Ecosystem and Social-Economic Resilience Analysis and Mapping for Tanna Island and Vanuatu National Level
- (2016). NeCTAR NCRIS Virtual Laboratory Operations Project for Biodiversity and Climate Change Virtual Laboratory (BCCVL)
- (2016). NCRIS ANDS Project - Biodiversity and Climate Change Virtual Laboratory: Increasing Trust in Environmental Model Outputs for Research and Government Use
- (2016). Cabinet in Confidence: Expert Advice - Forestry Issue
- (2016). Peer review services/synthesis report of the Australian State of Environment
- (2016). Managing environmental change through planning for transformative pathways
- (2016). How will increased drought affect herbivory-based insect communities in Australia's tropical rainforest (Claire Gely)
- (2016). How will increased drought affect herbivory-based insect communities in Australia's tropical rainforest? (Claire Gely)
- (2015). Managing the transition to a sustainable economy: Insights from an Evolutionary Perspective
- (2014). Supporting the Regional Management of Climate Change Information in the Pacific (Pacific iCLM)
- (2014). Developing a connected data integration and production infrastructure for Biodiversity and Climate Change Virtual Laboratory (EIF/NCRIS)
- (2014). Developing a connected data integration and production infrastrucutre for Biodiversity and Climate Change Virtual Laboratory (Australian National Data Service)
- (2014). FlashLite: a high performance machine for data intensive science
- (2014). Advanced Facilities for Measuring Environmental Biogeochemical Fluxes
- (2013). Advanced facilities for carbon accounting, environmental pollutant and natural product analysis
- (2012). Biodiversity and Climate Change Virtual Laboratory
- (2012). Landscapes & Policy Hub (LaP Hub)
- (2012). Getting smaller as temperatures rise? Body size responses of Australian birds to climate change
- (2011). The role of Refugia in ecosystem resilience and maintenance of terrestrial biodiversity in the face of global climate change
- (2019). Collaborative Species Distribution Modelling Program Pilot (CSDM)
- (2019). Queensland Climate Ready Program DES 18105 variation 2
Johanna Schliephack - Tourism adaption to Climate Change in two South Pacific SIDS: The potential to decrease community vulnerability and foster sustainable tourism developmentNicola Banwell - Disaster and climate-related health risksClaire Gely - How will increased drought affect herbivory-based insect communities in Australian tropical rainforests? Orpheus Butler - Fire, climate change and forest ecosystem stoichemistrySikha Karki - Climate change and food security in Nepalese villagesLeticia Canal Vieira - Climate change and the need for resilient urban food systemsRebekah Grieger - Resilience of coastal freshwater wetland vegetation to rising sea levels and altered hydrology
Professor Brendan Mackey is Director of the Griffith Climate Change Response Program, Griffith University. He has a PhD in ecology from The Australian National University.
The primary foci of Professor Mackey's current research are:
* climate change adaptation and mitigation
* science-based policy for climate change, conservation and sustainable development
* the application of decision support systems to environmental problems.
He has special expertise in climate change, forest ecosystems, biodiversity conservation and terrestrial carbon dynamic and has expertise in the application of Geographical Information System, remote sensing and environmental modelling to problems of environment and climate change.
Professor Mackey is the lead on a number of externally-funded research projects, including:
* research projects in the Pacific about ecosystem based adaptation
* information systems and decision support for adaptation research projects
* primary forests and climate change research projects
* whales in a changing climate
PhD Doctor of Philosophy, ANU -
BAppSc Bachelor of Applied Science, University of Canberra 1980
Expert Advisor to Anshun Huangguoshu World Cultural and National Heritage Declaration, Anshun Muncipal People's Government -
Coordinating Lead Author, Working Group II, Assessment Report 6, Chapter 11 - Australasia, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) -
ESA Member, Ecological Society of Australia -
Interim Board Member, Great Eastern Ranges Initiative -
IUCN Member, International Union for Conservation of Nature, World Protected Area Commission -
IUCN Member, International Union for Conservation of Nature, Commission on Environmental Law -
Board Member, The Frank Fenner Foundation -