- Developmental Psychology and Ageing
- United States
- Pegg, K., O’Donnell, A., Lala, G., & Barber, B. (2018). The Role of Online Social Identity in the Relationship Between Alcohol-Related Content on Social Networking Sites and Adolescent Alcohol Use. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 21(1), 50–55.
- Vernon, L., Modecki, K., & Barber, B. (2018). Mobile Phones in the Bedroom: Trajectories of Sleep Habits and Subsequent Adolescent Psychosocial Development. Child Development, 89(1), 66–77.
- Drane, C., Modecki, K., & Barber, B. (2017). Disentangling development of sensation seeking, risky peer affiliation, and binge drinking in adolescent sport. Addictive Behaviors, 66, 60–65.
- Geagea, A., MacCallum, J., Vernon, L., & Barber, B. (2017). Critical links between arts activity participation, school satisfaction and university expectation for Australian high school students. Australian Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology, 15, 53–65.
- Heaslip, G. P., & Barber, B. (2017). Extracurricular Activity Intensity and Adolescent Risk-Taking: Exploring Interactive Effects of Contextual Risk and Coping Efficacy. Educational and Developmental Psychologist, 34(1), 62–77.
- Uink, B. N., Modecki, K., & Barber, B. (2017). Disadvantaged youth report less negative emotion to minor stressors when with peers: An experience sampling study. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 41(1), 41–51.
- Vernon, L., Modecki, K., & Barber, B. (2017). Tracking Effects of Problematic Social Networking on Adolescent Psychopathology: The Mediating Role of Sleep Disruptions. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 46(2), 269–283.
- Bosch, L. A., Serido, J., Card, N. A., Shim, S., & Barber, B. (2016). Predictors of financial identity development in emerging adulthood. Emerging Adulthood, 4(6), 417–426.
- McCabe, K., Modecki, K., & Barber, B. (2016). Participation in Organized Activities Protects Against Adolescents Risky Substance Use, Even Beyond Development in Conscientiousness. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 45(11), 2292–2306.
- Watson, S., & Barber, B. (2016). University Attendance Moderates the Link between Financial Norms and Healthy Financial Behavior for Australian Young Adults. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 1–11.
- Watson, S., Barber, B., & Dziurawiec, S. (2016). Living situation and perceived parental financial support as protective factors against financial strain among Australian university students. Australian Journal of Psychology, 68(2), 130–138.
- Dandy, J., Durkin, K., Barber, B., & Houghton, S. (2015). Academic Expectations of Australian Students from Aboriginal, Asian and Anglo Backgrounds: Perspectives of Teachers, Trainee-teachers and Students. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, 62(1), 60–82.
- Drane, C. F., & Barber, B. (2015). Who gets more out of sport? The role of value and perceived ability in flow and identity-related experiences in adolescent sport. Applied Developmental Science, 1–11.
- Vernon, L., Barber, B., & Modecki, K. (2015). Adolescent Problematic Social Networking and School Experiences: The Mediating Effects of Sleep Disruptions and Sleep Quality. Cyberpsychology, behavior and social networking, 18(7), 386–392.
- Watson, S. J., Barber, B., & Dziurawiec, S. (2015). The Role of Economizing and Financial Strain in Australian University Students Psychological Well-Being. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 36(3), 421–433.
- Barber, B., Abbott, B. D., Neira, C. J. B., & Eccles, J. S. (2014). Meaningful activity participation and positive youth development. In Handbook of positive psychology in the schools (2nd ed., pp. 227–244). United States: Routledge.
- Edwards, G. L., Barber, B., & Dziurawiec, S. (2014). Emotional intimacy power predicts different sexual experiences for men and women. Journal of Sex Research, 51(3), 340–350.
- Modecki, K., Barber, B., & Eccles, J. S. (2014). Binge drinking trajectories across adolescence: For early maturing youth, extra-curricular activities are protective. Journal of Adolescent Health, 54(1), 61–66.
- Neira, C. J. B., & Barber, B. (2014). Social networking site use: Linked to adolescents social self-concept, self-esteem, and depressed mood. Australian Journal of Psychology, 66(1), 56–64.
- Modecki, K., Barber, B., & Vernon, L. (2013). Mapping developmental precursors of cyber-aggression: Trajectories of risk predict perpetration and victimization. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 42(5), 651–661.
- Abbott, B. D., Barber, B., & Dziurawiec, S. (2012). What difference can a year make? Changes in functional and aesthetic body satisfaction among male and female adolescents over a year. Australian Psychologist, 47, 224–231.
- Neira, C. J. B., & Barber, B. (2012). Exploring the positive peer and identity experiences occurring in Australian adolescents leisure activities. Australian Educational and Developmental Psychologist, 29(1), 44–51.
- Abbott, B. D., & Barber, B. (2011). Differences in functional and aesthetic body image between sedentary girls and girls involved in sports and physical activity: Does sport type make a difference? Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 12(3), 333–342.
- Blomfield, C. J., & Barber, B. (2011). Developmental experiences during extracurricular activities and Australian adolescents self-concept: Particularly important for youth from disadvantaged schools. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 40(5), 582–594.
- Shim, S., Serido, J., & Barber, B. (2011). A consumer way of thinking: Linking consumer socialization and consumption motivation perspectives to adolescent development. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 21(1), 290–299.
- Abbot, B. D., & Barber, B. (2010). Embodied Image: Gender differences in functional and aesthetic body image among Australian adolescents. Body Image, 7(1), 22–31.
- Blomfield, C., & Barber, B. (2010). Australian adolescents extracurricular activity participation and positive development: Is the relationship mediated by peer attributes? Australian Journal of Educational & Developmental Psychology, 10, 114–128.
- Edwards, G. L., & Barber, B. (2010). The relationship between rejection sensitivity and compliant condom use. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 39(6), 1381–1388.
- Edwards, G. L., & Barber, B. (2010). Woman may underestimate their partners desires to use condoms: Possible implications for behavior. Journal of Sex Research, 47(1), 59–65.
- Shim, S., Barber, B., Card, N. A., Xiao, J. J., & Serido, J. (2010). Financial socialization of first-year college students: The roles of parents, work, and education. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39(12), 1457–1470.
- Blomfield, C. J., & Barber, B. (2009). Brief report: Performing on the stage, the field, or both? Australian adolescent extracurricular activity participation and self-concept. Journal of Adolescence, 32(3), 733–739.
- Shim, S., Xiao, J. J., Barber, B., & Lyons, A. C. (2009). Pathways to life success: A conceptual model of financial well-being for young adults. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 30(6), 708–723.
- (2017). The Lowitja Institute CRC Co-Funded Scholarship Program (Leda Barnett)
- (2015). Farming 4 Care: Using nature to cultivate resilience in young people
- (2015). Understanding delinquency during the teenage years: Developmental pathways of antisocial decisions making among disadvantaged youth
- (2014). Mapping digital inclusion and exclusion: Understanding technologies to improve digital inclusion for vulnerable young people
- (2013). Protect from harm or lead into danger? The influence of peers in leisure activities on adolescent behaviour
Clinical Health Psychology A (7241PSY_P1)Supervisor, In Person, Gold Coast Campus, Semester 1, 2018.
Clinical Health Psychology (7241PSY)Supervisor, In Person, Gold Coast Campus, Semester 2, 2017.
Clinical Health Psychology (7241PSY)Supervisor, In Person, Mt. Gravatt Campus, Semester 2, 2017.
Adolescent Development (3021PSY)Teacher, In Person, Gold Coast Campus, Semester 2, 2016.
PhD Doctor Of Philosophy, University of Michigan
BA Psych Bachelor of Arts (Psychology), UCLA
Chair in Psychology, Murdoch University 2004 - 2014
Assistant, Associate Professor, University of Arizona 1995 - 2004
Assistant Professor, Penn State University 1990 - 1995
Vice Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Research, for Outstanding Research Development, Murdoch University 2013 - Present
Hugo G. Beigel award from the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality for article in the Journal of Sex Research with Jenifer McGuire titled “A Person-Centered Approach to the Multifaceted Nature of Young Adult Sexual Behavior”, Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality 2010 - Present