Are you Rachel Dioso-Villa?
Edit your profile
Dr. Dioso-Villa is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Griffith University and a member of the Griffith Criminology Institute. She has a PhD in Criminology, Law and Society from the University of California, Irvine and an MA in Criminology from the Centre of Criminology and Sociolegal Studies at the University of Toronto. She is the Director of Post Graduate Studies for the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice and Program Co-Chair of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Criminology Annual Conference in 2021. Dr Dioso-Villa is on the Editorial Board of Current Issues of Criminal Justice and the Wrongful Convictions Law Review. She is an expert Research Consultant for the Griffith University Innocence Project and a member of the Evidence-Based Forensic Initiative out of the University of New South Wales. Her research investigates wrongful convictions and miscarriages of justice in Australia and the sociology of forensic science looking at the admissibility and evaluation of forensic sciences as expert testimony. She created the first repository of wrongful convictions in Australia and has worked on joint projects with the Queensland Police Services and Victoria Police. Her work has appeared in the Stanford Law Review, Law and Policy, Law Probability and Risk and the Journal of Empirical Legal Studies. She has been on ABC Radio National and the Law Report for her work on redress for wrongful convictions in Australia. She has received grants and fellowships from the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada, the American Society of Criminology and the Canadian Foundation of University Women.Dr. Dioso-Villa's publications expose systemic breakdowns during the investigation, trial and appeal phases and offer recommendations for prevention. They highlight potential errors in forensic evidence, how judges and juries evaluate evidence, and multiple studies on wrongful convictions in Australia and overseas.
GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY APPOINTMENTS
- MemberGriffith Criminology Institute2015
- Director of Post Graduate StudiesGriffith University, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, Brisbane, AustraliaFeb 2020
- Senior LecturerGriffith University, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, Brisbane, AustraliaNov 2016
- LecturerGriffith University, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, Brisbane, AustraliaSep 2010 - Nov 2015
- PhDUniversity of California, Irvine, Irvine, United StatesSep 2004 - Sep 2010
- MAUniversity of Toronto, Toronto, CanadaSep 2000 - Jun 2001
- Hons. BSc.University of Toronto, Toronto, CanadaSep 1996 - Jun 2000