Are you Tony Matthews?
Edit your profile
Dr Tony Matthews (@drtonymatthews) is an award-winning Urban and Environmental Planner, with portfolios in academia, practice and the media. He is a faculty member at Griffith University, where he is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Environment & Science and the Cities Research Institute. In addition to a Masters and PhD in Planning, Tony holds the professional designation of Chartered Town Planner, earned through the Royal Town Planning Institute. While primarily based in planning academia and research, Tony maintains an active practice portfolio. He has led and participated in a wide variety of planning and sustainability projects in collaboration with government, the private sector and community organisations. Tony is also an in-demand public speaker and regularly delivers invited keynotes and speeches at academic and industry events. Tony’s research and practice interests include adapting cities to climate change impacts; the role and function of green infrastructure; sustainable and low carbon design; the interplay between built environments and human health; and achieving high quality urban design outcomes. He regularly competes for national and international research funding and currently holds a Discovery Award from the Australian Research Council. Tony’s research is widely published in multiple formats and languages, is internationally cited and has proven translation to real-world outcomes. Tony is also an active public writer and commentator with hundreds of national and international print, radio and television media appearances. He founded the Urban Broadcast Collective (@urbanpodcasts), a curated network of podcasts dedicated to cities and urban life. Tony also co-developed and co-presented ‘The Urban Squeeze’ radio program on ABC Radio, which ran for two seasons and won three Awards for Excellence from the Planning Institute of Australia.
GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY APPOINTMENTS
- MemberCities Research Institute2016
- Senior Lecturer in Urban & Environmental PlanningGriffith University, Australia1 Jan 2019
- Lecturer in Urban & Environmental PlanningGriffith University, Australia11 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2018
- Lecturer in Urban & Regional PlanningQueensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia10 Jan 2013 - 10 Jan 2016
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Urban & Regional Planning)Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia8 Jul 2013 - 9 Jan 2014
- MUrb RegPlan Masters of Urban and Regional PlanningUniversity College Cork2007 - 2009
- Master Of ArtsUniversity College Cork2001 - 2002
- Bachelor of ArtsUniversity College Cork1998 - 2001
- Chartered Member (MRTPI)Royal Town Planning Institute1 Apr 2014