Are you Catherine Grant?
Edit your profile
Catherine Grant is a music educator and researcher at Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University. She lectures at undergraduate and postgraduate levels on music research, music across cultures, and music in society. Over the last decade, Catherine has undertaken ethnomusicological fieldwork with communities in Cambodia, Vietnam, Vanuatu and Australia. She has also led research on aspects of higher music education, including developing global citizenship in students and education for social justice. Catherine has published over 30 journal articles and book chapters. She is author of the monograph "Music Endangerment: How Language Maintenance Can Help" (Oxford University Press, 2014), and co-editor of "Sustainable Futures for Music Cultures (OUP, 2016). Catherine's doctorate (2012) was awarded the Chancellor's Medal for Excellence. She has received an Endeavour Australia Research Fellowship (2015) and British Museum (2019) grant for her research in Cambodia, and was awarded the 2015 Australian Future Justice medal for her research, advocacy and activism on cultural sustainability. From 2016 to 2019, Catherine chaired the Australia-New Zealand Regional Committee of the International Council for Traditional Music. Catherine has presented on her research in Australia, the UK, the USA, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, and Kazakhstan. Her applied work on music endangerment and sustainability has featured in media including the Boston Globe, The Australian, The Conversation, The Cambodia Daily, and radio stations in Australia and the USA.
GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY APPOINTMENTS
- MemberQueensland Conservatorium Research Centre2016
- Senior LecturerQueensland Conservatorium, Australia1 Jan 2016
- Higher Degree Research Co-ordinatorQueensland Conservatorium, Australia1 Jan 2020
- PhD (Chancellor's Medal)Griffith University, Australia
- Graduate Certificate in Higher EducationGriffith University, Australia
- Bachelor of Music Studies (1st class hons)Griffith University, Australia
- Bachelor of ArtsUniversity of Queensland, Australia