Susan Bengtson Nash
Are you Susan Bengtson Nash?
Edit your profile
I lead the Southern Ocean Persistent Organic Pollutants Program (SOPOPP) at Griffith University's Environmental Futures Research Institute. SOPOPP's scientific research goals focus on investigating the pathways of persistent and toxic compounds to high latitude environments, their environmental behaviour and fate, and ultimately their impact upon biota and ecosystems in rapidly changing Polar environments. SOPOPP co-ordinates the Humpback Whale Sentinel Program (HWSP). The HWSP is a long-term, circum-Antarctic biomonitoring program for the Antarctic sea-ice ecosystem. It is designed to complement existing sentinel programs under the Convention for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCMLR) Ecosystem Monitoring Program, and produce open source data for Antarctic and cetacean research communities. It is supported by the Southern Ocean Research Partnership (SORP), endorsed by the Southern Ocean Observing System (SOOS), and is the culmination of 12 years of in-house biomarker and ecological tracer development within SOPOPP. I sit on the Australian Research Council (ARC) Panel of Experts and Head the Scientific Committee for Antarctic Research (SCAR) Action Group Input Pathways of persistent organic pollutants to AntarCTica (ImPACT). I am also a member of the SCAR Plastic Action Group and the Cetaceans in the Southern Ocean (CiSO) Action Group; I serve on the International Whaling Commission (IWC) Committee for Contamination, and contribute to Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Program (AMAP) and Global Monitoring Plan (GMP) reporting outcomes. I am a strong proponent of circum-Antarctic research and monitoring, open-source science and effective science communication for evidence-based decision making.
GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY APPOINTMENTS
- MemberEnvironmental Futures Research Institute2014
- Associate ProfessorGriffith University, Environmental Futures Research Institute, Nathan, Australia1 Jan 2014
- Griffith University Research Fellowship Recipient (Senior Research Fellow)Griffith University, Atmospheric Environment Research Centre, Nathan, Australia23 Nov 2009 - 18 Dec 2015
- Australian Research Council Post-doctoral Fellowship Holder (Senior Research Fellow)The University of Queensland, National Research Centre for Environmental Toxicology (EnTox), Brisbane, Australia2 Jan 2006 - 20 Nov 2009
- PhDThe University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia4 Feb 2002 - 14 Mar 2006
- B.Sc.(hon)Plymouth University, Plymouth, United Kingdom7 Jul 1997 - 24 Nov 2000