Are you Marleen Westerveld?
Edit your profile
A/Prof Marleen Westerveld joined Griffith University in December 2011. Dr Westerfveld has been a qualified speech language pathologist for just over 30 years and holds a PhD in speech-language therapy (child language) from the University of Canterbury. She holds an Adjunct A/Prof position in the Child Well-being Research Institute, University of Canterbury, New Zealand and is the Chair of the Child Language Committee of the International Association for Communication Sciences and Disorders (IALP). Dr Westerveld's clinical and research experience relate to working with children, from infancy through adolescence, with language difficulties, including developmental language disorder and language disorders associated with biomedical conditions, such as autism spectrum disorder or Down syndrome. Dr Westerveld's research focuses on children’s spontaneous language skills, with particular emphasis on the relationship between children’s spoken and written language skills and children's ability to participate in daily activities (at home and at school). Dr Westerveld has attracted >1.6 million in funding to support her research from the Commonwealth and from professional associations, including Speech Pathology Australia. She has a career total of 76 peer-reviewed publications, comprising 68 refereed journal articles, 2 books, and 6 book chapters. Her latest book was co-authored with speech pathology and education researchers from the University of Queensland and the University of Southern Queensland, and published by Springer: Reading Success in the Primary Years: An Evidence-Based Interdisciplinary Approach to Guide Assessment and Intervention. Dr Westerveld joined Griffith University in December 2011 and teaches into the Master of Speech Pathology program in the School of Allied Health Sciences. She currently supervises 4 HDR students (3PhD, 1MPhil) as well as 1 Honours student and 1 Graduate Diploma in Medical Health Research student and has successfully supervised 6 HDR students to completion (5 PhD, 1MPhil). Dr Westerveld was appointed the HDR convenor in the School of Allied Health Sciences (AHS) in 2018.
GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY APPOINTMENTS
- HDR ConvenorGriffith University, School of Allied Health Sciences, Gold Coast, Australia1 Jan 2018
- MemberGriffith Institute for Educational Research1 Jan 2020
- MemberDisability & Rehabilitation1 Jan 2018
- Adjunct A/ProfUniversity of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand1 Jan 2020 - 1 Jan 2022
- Graduate Certificate in Higher EducationGriffith University, Gold Coast, Australia
- Doctor Of PhilosophyUniversity of Canterbury
- Master of Philosophy (Distinction)University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
- EnglishCan read, write, speak, understand and peer review
- Dutch; FlemishCan read, write, speak, understand and peer review
- GermanCan read, speak and understand