Are you Tanya Smith?
Edit your profile
I am a Professor in the Australian Research Centre for Human Evolution (ARCHE) and the Griffith Centre for Social and Cultural Research (GCSCR) at Griffith University. I’ve previously held a professorship at Harvard University, and fellowships at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study and the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. My area of expertise is the study of tooth growth and structure. Teeth preserve remarkably faithful records of daily growth, infant diet, and developmental stress for millions of years, as detailed in The Tales Teeth Tell -- my popular science book published by MIT Press. My research has been funded by the Australian Academy of Science, the US National Science Foundation, the Leakey Foundation, and the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research. I have published in Nature, Science Advances, and Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and these works have been featured in The New York Times, National Geographic, Nature, Science, Smithsonian, and Discovery magazines, as well as through American, Australian, British, Canadian, French, Irish, German, New Zealand, and Singaporean broadcast media.
GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY APPOINTMENTS
- MemberGriffith Centre for Social and Cultural Research2019
- MemberEnvironmental Futures Research Institute2016
- MemberAustralian Research Centre for Human Evolution, Australia28 Nov 2016
- ProfessorGriffith University, Australia21 Dec 2018
- Associate ProfessorGriffith University, Australia28 Nov 2016 - 20 Dec 2018
- Associate ProfessorHarvard University, United States1 Jul 2012 - 30 Jun 2016
- Assistant ProfessorHarvard University, United States1 Jul 2008 - 30 Jun 2012
- Research ScientistMax Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Germany1 Sep 2004 - 30 Jun 2008
- Research & Teaching AssistantStony Brook University, United States1 Sep 1998 - 31 May 2004
- Doctor Of PhilosophyStony Brook University, USA
- Master Of ArtsStony Brook University, United States
- Bachelor Of Science With HonoursState University of New York (SUNY) at Geneseo, United States