Are you Janet Ransley?
Edit your profile
Janet Ransley is a Professor and Director of the Griffith Criminology Institute at Griffith University, and leads its Policing and Security research group. Her research focuses on crime harm, policing, integrity, and criminal justice policy, with special interests in policing partnerships and third party policing, policing for crime and harm prevention, the treatment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the justice system, and integrity in criminal justice, legal and political systems and practices. She also is experienced in evaluating programs and interventions in justice settings. From 2011 to 2015 she was Head of the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice and before that was director of the Key Centre for Ethics, Law, Justice and Governance (now part of GCI). Before entering academia, she held senior policy positions with the Queensland Government including for the Legislative Assembly, for which she was lead author for over 20 policy-relevant research reports on major legislative and policy initiatives. She also worked in senior roles for the Criminal Justice Commission (now the Crime and Corruption Commission). She has co-authored or edited 6 books and collections, and over 70 research articles, reports and chapters. She has extensive experience in managing multi-disciplinary project teams, and in liaising and collaborating with public sector partners, and has a strong interest in promoting industry-researcher partnerships that generate evidence to support better criminal justice policy and practice. She has participated in international collaborations with scholars and practitioners in China, Great Britain, Sweden and the United States. She is also an experienced supervisor of research students, having supervised 12 completed PhDs, with another 13 currently in progress, alongside many honours and masters students.
GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY APPOINTMENTS
- DirectorGriffith Criminology Institute2015
- Head of SchoolGriffith University, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, Australia1 Jan 2011 - 1 Jan 2015
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate ProfessorGriffith University, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, Australia1 Jan 1999
- PhDGriffith University, Australia
- Master of Administration (Honours)Griffith University, Australia
- Graduate Diploma Of Legal PracticeQueensland Inst.Of Technology, Australia
- Bachelor of LawsUniversity of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- Bachelor of ArtsUniversity of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- Admitted as a SolicitorSupreme Court of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia1982